If you or a loved one are suffering from the effects of opioid addiction, seeking help can be one of the most challenging and overwhelming processes you’ll ever go through. Fortunately, with the right treatment program, it can also be one of the most rewarding.
Many legitimate treatment centers are available to help you recover from opioid addiction. However, with the rise of the opioid epidemic, we’ve seen an increase in deceptive facilities only interested in benefitting financially from this disease. As a result, it’s incredibly important to know what to look for in an opioid treatment program. Before checking yourself or a loved one into opioid addiction treatment, ask each center the following questions to see which facility is best for your needs.
1. What Are Your Credentials?
One of the most significant things you can do before selecting a potential treatment center is to view their credentials, which should prove that the center adheres to industry standards and that the staff has the training necessary to provide proper care.
2. What Kind of Opioid Treatment Programs Do You Have?
Because each person is unique in their wants and needs, no facility should take a cookie-cutter approach to treatment. Ask each treatment center what programs they have available and how they can balance and customize these programs to work for each person who receives care. Some of the most common types of opioid treatment programs include:
- Medical detoxification: A trained medical team monitors patients around-the-clock and gives them safe medicines and medical care as needed.
- Medication-assisted treatment: Specialists use prescriptions like buprenorphine to ease patients’ physical withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings so that they can focus on other aspects of treatment.
- Counseling: While the body physically detoxifies from opioids, some treatment centers offer ongoing counseling or mental health support services aimed at healing patients mentally and emotionally.
- Specialized programs: You or your loved one may benefit from gender- or age-specific programs, faith-based services, family support counseling or other special programs.
3. How Will Your Treatments Affect My or My Loved One’s Life?
Consider the following factors when you’re looking for the best treatment plan for your loved one’s short- and long-term future:
- Are the services in-patient or outpatient? In-patient care poses the most significant disruption to a person’s daily life, but it’s sometimes necessary for safe detoxification.
- What is the outcome? What does the clinic expect patients to achieve by the end of their treatment? Do they accept relapse as a natural part of the recovery process?
- Do they provide physical detoxification services? Ask how the clinic eases the patient’s painful physical withdrawal symptoms.
- How do they help patients adjust to life without opioids? Opioid addiction is as mental as it is physical. How will the clinic address these emotional needs?
4. How Quickly Can I or My Loved One Receive Treatment?
Sometimes, early intervention can mean getting the life-saving treatment your loved one needs. Ask the treatment center whether they can take you or your loved one right away or whether you’ll be placed on a waiting list. Also, keep in mind that you may need to schedule an initial consultation before beginning treatment. Ask if this is the case and, if so, how soon after the initial appointment you can start receiving treatment.
5. How Much Will Your Services Cost?
The cost of rehabilitation services can vary significantly based on factors like location and the kinds of services the center provides. Ask about initial costs and whether the clinic is in-network with your insurance provider.
6. What Is the Length of Your Program?
The best programs are determined by progress — not a set number of days. While some facilities might provide an estimated time frame, look for one that’s flexible if you or your loved one haven’t made sufficient progress within that period. You should also find a program that will support you through multiple levels of rehabilitation, moving you into less intensive treatments for ongoing support even after your physical detoxification.
Contact AppleGate Recovery for Your Opioid Addiction Treatment
At AppleGate Recovery, our goal is to make choosing an opioid treatment program as easy as possible. We encourage you to learn more about our outpatient, medication-assisted treatment programs by calling 888-488-5337 or filling out our online contact form.