The State of Louisiana, like much of our country, has terrifying overdose statistics to show the unprecedented progression of the opioid epidemic.
- 447 related overdose deaths were reported in 2018
- 75% increase in overdose deaths occurred over 5 years (2014-2018)
- In 2014, only 12% of residents in need of addiction treatment were receiving it
As the problem of opioid addiction persists, access to reliable, effective treatment is critical to helping individuals and our communities recover from the devastating disease.
What is Suboxone® Treatment
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) with buprenorphine, or buprenorphine compounds like Suboxone®, has been proven to be one of the most effective treatments for opioid addiction. The treatment is most effective when combined with substance use counseling.
- Buprenorphine reduces cravings for opioids by attaching to the same receptors in the brain that illicit opioids do, but not fully activating them. In this way, it is able to provide relief from the painful symptoms of withdrawal without causing euphoria or a “high”. Buprenorphine has a low potential for abuse due to a ceiling effect in the medication. At a certain point, increasing the dose will not increase its effect and when taken as prescribed has a low risk of overdose.
- Suboxone® is comprised of buprenorphine and naloxone, providing the same relief of withdrawal symptoms and cravings but with an added deterrent to misuse. Naloxone, also known as Narcan®, causes immediate withdrawal when injected, making it an excellent deterrent to misusing the medication.
- Counseling is a critical part of a comprehensive MAT program for opioid use disorder. As the medication provides relief of the physical symptoms of discontinuing opioid use, patients are able to focus on setting goals, working through issues and triggers, learning healthy coping strategies and rebuilding their relationships.
Why Suboxone® Treatment Works
Medication-assisted treatment programs treat the whole person, providing support and consistency in in all areas of life with the goal of achieving long term recovery. A reliable outpatient Suboxone® Treatment program provides many advantages, including:
- Structure and stability in early recovery that adapts to each individual
- Flexibility to continue to work, attend school, take care of children and family, and participate in other activities
- Access to treatment providers who work collaboratively with your other medical providers to support complex health issues
- Referral to other healthcare providers and resources as needed
- Counseling and case management services that provide individual support as well as access to community resources and extended support systems
- Participation in MAT programs has been shown to improve health, reduce involvement in illegal activities and improve patients abilities to maintain employment
For more than 10 years, AppleGate Recovery Bossier City has been providing effective opioid addiction treatment services for patients from:
- Bossier City
- Bossier Parish
- Bienville Parish
- Caddo Parish
- Claiborne Parish
- De Soto Parish
- Red River Parish
- Webster Parish
- Surrounding Areas
If you are a new patient, looking to seek help for the first time, a former patient ready to begin treatment again or are in need of a new provider for any reason, please call us today at 318.742.0500 or send us an email. AppleGate Bossier City also offers grant funding for patients who qualify.
Subscribe to our Blog
There Is Hope
Get in touch with us
Recovery is more than an individual journey — you need the support and love of others as you overcome the ravages of addiction. Perhaps it’s a friend who has stood by…
Since the dawn of the devastating opioid epidemic that ripped through the United States at the tail end of the 90s, there have been many changes made to prescribing guidelines…
You hear it many times in treatment and from people who are successfully living sober: addiction recovery is a process. Even after you’ve completed a treatment program and have maintained…